Potential Analysis & Initial Program Planning
NV5 provides technical and economic assessments of the potential for demand-side resources and distributed renewable energy generation to quantify cost-effective energy efficiency resources and opportunities for savings.
An important first step in launching clean energy initiatives, potential studies provide vital data needed to evaluate efficiency as an alternative to supply side resources. They help set goals and funding levels and are fundamental to the design of programs and policies.
NV5’s potential assessments typically involve:
- Technical, economic, and feasibility estimates of efficiency opportunities
- Characterization of costs and performance of efficiency and renewable technologies
- Forecasting market penetration and savings levels
- Integration of efficiency and renewable resources in long term plans
- Independent critique of previous potential studies to help clients understand their value and/or shortcomings.
Regulatory Strategy & Policy Support
NV5 provides guidance and support on policy and regulatory strategy to a variety of public, not-for-profit, and private organizations. Our list of clients includes state and local governments, national regulatory agencies, and environmental advocacy groups. We offer a range of strategic guidance and expert advice, supported by research and technical modeling, on utility regulatory and energy-related policy issues.
NV5 offers comprehensive services to help clients advance their policy and regulatory goals:
- Provides guidance on setting efficiency and renewable energy targets for both electric and gas utilities
- Reviews proposed efficiency portfolios for key factors: practicality, comprehensiveness, appropriateness, equity, and cost-effectiveness
- Advises on utility cost-recovery mechanisms
- Develops utility performance metrics and track progress towards these metrics
- Trains and educates program staff, regulators, and decision-makers
- Provides guidance on best-practice program strategies
- Develops and reviews evaluation plans and interprets evaluation study results
- Conducts market-specific analyses to inform strategic and policy decisions