Originally opening in 1908, the Levoy Theatre started out as a small theater and dance floor in the town of Millville, New Jersey. Over the next 20 years, the theater gained increasing popularity, becoming one of Southern New Jersey’s most famous landmarks. In 1974, the theatre was permanently closed and remained vacant for over 30 years. After being listed on the NJ and National Register of Historic Places in 1998, the building was restored and then reopened in 2012, creating a 650-seat Performing Arts Center.
Today, the venue hosts a wide variety of programs, including musicals, plays, concerts, comedy acts, and more. In order to meet modern expectations and the current needs of the theatre, the facility’s sound system needed to be upgraded to deliver increased sound reinforcement. As the design and details in this historic theatre are some of the aspects that set it apart from others, careful consideration was taken in choosing sound systems and their placement when updating the sound system.
To meet the challenge of creating a system that neither compromises sound quality nor the aesthetic beauty of the theatre, speakers seamlessly blend, sometimes even disappearing, into the architectural design. Various types of speakers include four compact three-way passive loudspeakers, six standalone mono loudspeakers, and two passive two-way bi-amped subwoofers.
Today, the 22,205 SF, three-level building includes the stage and stage house, an auditorium with seating, public accommodations including foyer and lobbies, a box office, concessions, restrooms, dressing rooms, audio and lighting control booths, offices, miscellaneous equipment and storage rooms.