The Energy Efficiency Services division at NV5 serves as a trusted, independent Owner’s Representative (also called Third-Party Consultant, or Project Facilitator) on both large and small scale contracts for:
- Public-Private Partnership (P3) Projects
- Energy Savings Performance Contracts (ESPC, a type of P3 project)
- Energy-as-a-Service projects (EaaS, a type of P3 project)
- Sustainability projects, including renewable energy generation
- Resiliency Projects, including Microgrid development and implementation
Our unique breadth and depth of experience in Energy Savings Performance Contract oversight has allowed us to become the most trusted Owner’s Representative in the nation on those projects, performing technical quality assurance (QA) reviews on more than $2.5 billion dollars of these energy projects throughout the U.S. Today, we are applying that same valued technical QA oversight experience to Energy-as-a-Service projects as they become a more popular financial option for many clients.
As Owner’s Representatives on these projects we:
- Assist clients to organize, plan and implement the optimal type of energy project to secure major improvements with no upfront capital costs
- Set project scope of work for Energy Services Companies (ESCOs), write RFPs, and assist in ESCO selection and contract negotiations
- Optimize vendor contracts, ensuring fairness to both parties.
- Review technical feasibility, savings, costs, financing, commissioning plans, measurement and verification plans, O&M, and training to ensure expected savings or fair payments are realized
- Ensure utility, grid operator, and government incentives are maximized and secured to mitigate capital costs
- Conduct forensic analyses of energy projects and help negotiate fair indemnification whenever possible
Measurement and Verification (M&V) Consulting
NV5 provides Measurement and Verification (M&V) services to a wide-variety of clients, either as part of our Owner’s Representative service or on a stand-alone basis, including:
- Development of M&V Plans for ISO Forward Capacity Market programs
- Oversight of ESCO and vendor proposals to ensure accuracy of energy savings claims
- Review of an ESCO’s M&V plan proposal and its subsequent periodic M&V reports to ensure expected performance
- Assistance negotiating effective corrective action and financial restitution
Many of our in-house engineering staff are Certified Measurement & Verification Professionals (CMVP) by the Association of Energy Engineers (AEE) and the Efficiency Valuation Organization (www.evo-world.org) – a distinction very few firms have.
Reliability/Resiliency Solutions Services
As one of few energy consulting firms that have experience in this new arena, EES has distinguished itself by overseeing one of this nation’s few operational microgrid projects for the FDA and by assessing the feasibility of microgrid projects for federal and state governments, municipalities (including public schools), and major universities.
NV5 helps clients by:
- Conducting microgrid feasibility studies to determine financial efficacy of such a network based on client-specific requirements
- Developing the conceptual design of a microgrid or other resiliency project, incorporating both Combined Heat and Power (CHP) and alternative energy sources
- Serving as a project facilitator to support clients throughout the development, design and construction phases of resiliency projects
- Helping select appropriate engineering contractors to implement a microgrid or other resiliency project.
Energy Audits and Benchmarking Services
To inform the development of an energy project, NV5 conducts various levels of energy audits:
ASHRAE Level 1 Audit – A cursory investigation aimed at pre-qualifying projects before a more detailed evaluation takes place, or to inform the creation of an RFP/RFQ scope for large energy projects like ESPCs.
ASHRAE Level 2 Audit – A more detailed energy audit used to inform the development of smaller energy projects primarily concerned with instituting Energy Conservation Measures (ECMs), with work usually implemented by local firms,
ASHRAE Level 3 (Investment Grade Audit) – A detailed engineering document confirming the scope and expected savings of a larger, typically externally financed energy retrofit project to implement ECMs while possibly adding alternative generation or other resiliency/sustainability features. In the ESPC or EaaS projects we oversee, these audits are conducted by ESCOs to provide the performance guarantee, and we review them for technical accuracy.
Benchmarking – A review of a facility’s utility usage to compare to other similar facilities around the country, usually using USEPA’s Energy Star Portfolio Manager, to determine which facilities should be included in energy retrofit projects and to maintain an ongoing comparison of performance against other facilities.